From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:32:42 -0400
Richard Pennycuick responded to Dave:

>>(Am I the only one with a rather large collection who can remember
>>when and where they bought just about everything?)

Richard Pennycuick replied:

>So come on you other listers who retain what is really not very useful
>knowledge, repent!!

I can't say my collection is all that large, but I do remember the
purchases.  Frankly, those of late are boring.  Sitting at a computer,
doing database searches for recordings, assessing recommendations and
comments from others on this list, waiting for the mail.

What I do remember is the adventure as a kid in Boston in the late 50s
through the 60s, when with no knowledge of music or performers other than
that I was interested and wanted more, I'd head to the local record stores.
I can still pick up an LP and remember where and when I got it, then taking
it home wondering what I would hear.  When the BSO played a Brahms Symphony
and I enjoyed it, I'd look for a recording.  What chances I took? Spend my
limited money on an unknown performer (since most were unknown to me at the
time) or work.  If I'd saved the money I'd usually head to Cambridge (the
Coop or Lechmere Sales).  I'd stare at album covers, read the text, and
trust some cosmic force for help in a decision.  I bought a few Brahms
Symphonies by some guy in England named Klemperer and liked them a lot.
He was good.

But there are so many like that.....

What a world opened up!

While I'm at it, I'd also like to thank Dave for his contribution keeping
this world and it's excitement going for me.  Thanks Dave.

Regards,

Tom Connor