From:
"Robert Stumpf, II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 20:24:26 +0000
Richard A. Ujvary wrote:

>From the article it seems that there's a rift between those who want
>their classical radio tried and true and those who view it as a force for
>exploring. Rich

This is not just a matter of "tried and true".  When I began learning
classical music I started with the local FM station (in Toldeo, Ohio)
That way I could "sample" composers who I was not familiar with and listen
to other recordings, too.  Sampling, however, was a matter of getting to
listen to entire pieces of music so that I could appreciate the composer
and not just a mood.  If course there was also good ol' Karl Hass.  If the
station goes to a format that is "mood" the opportunity to function as a
teacher has been abdicated by FM.

As you go on to say, however, facts am facts.  Long ago I realized I had to
free myself from the local FM station and acquire my own library.  This was
well before the latest 'bleeding chunks' approach.  Now having your own
library is almost a necessity for anyone who wants to learn to appreciate
classical music.

When this trend started I wrote the local FM station (then living in
Cowlumbus, Ohio) I pointed out that classical music should entertain but
not just be entertaining.  Stokowski had a sound; that is an example of
what I mean.

Peace from he who is stumpf
aka Sisyphus