From:
William Copper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:35:41 -0800
I think the same issue surrounds the creation of new music.  While there
may be new Ruggles's working today, many of us who write try to intuit what
the current form of 'best music' is and write more of it.  This is true, I
believe, from the prosaic processors of new choral music for not-so-good
church choirs, to the Wourinens or the Bolcoms of last year and the
Kernis's of this year, and -- naturally -- the popular music sensations
whoever they are.

Of course, I don't know what to do about it ...  the same forces are at
work in those who select music to program, and I do wish they would keep
choosing my works ...

William Copper
composer of Lovelife Dances