Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:57:16 -0500
From:
John Proffitt <[log in to unmask]>
David Rothstein wrote:

>Without debating if the day warrants silence on the waves or not, the
>issue is: "Should there be a collective & national decision to "shut
>down" or not?, Should the silence be official or not?"

Two problems with this:

(1) American broadcasters are not permitted by FCC regulations to simply
"shut down", even if we wanted to.  Regardless of the merits, such a move
would require federal legislative action.

(2) As I attempted to make clear in my original posting, the musical
selections KUHF used were used as continuity between segments of news
programming from National Public Radio.  NPR was a major source of
information to millions of Americans during a national crisis.  One may
recall from 9/11/01 and for several days thereafter no one could predict
with certainty if there would be additional terrorist attacks, and there
was ongoing reporting of rescue and recovery efforts at the WTC site.
Those two functions alone make the idea of "shutting down" contrary to
the basic legal and moral commitment we have to public service.

Regards,

John Proffitt
KUHF-FM General Manager & C.E.O.