Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:02:10 +0100
From:
Philip Jongeneel <[log in to unmask]>
Hector Aguilar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>...  My question is, does anyone have any specific recordings they would
>recommend of this impressive composer? Thanks,

I have just bought a CD containing "The Orchestral Works" of Arriaga.  The
CD has the two overtures he wrote, including Los Esclavos Felices as well
as his Symphony "For Big Orchestra".

The CD is by Le Concert des Nations and La Capella Reial de Catalunya
conducted by Jordi Savall Astree Auvidis E8532

Some years ago I had a vinyl of both the Esclavos Felices Overture and
the Symphony, I do not recall by whom...and somehow I remember that one
as a better performance than this new one.  But that was long ago, and
I am glad to have this recording now.

Arriaga died just short of his twentieth birthday.  Based on the music
he left behind, we can but wonder what he might have accomplished had he
lived longer.  Give another twenty years life, would he indeed have lived
up to the promise of tyhe music he did compose?

How many other young composers with great potential died before they were
able to develop into the great musicians they could have become?

Some names come to mind: George Butterworth, Hans Rott, .......

Philip Jongeneel