Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:12:26 -0500
7bit
From:
Barbara Wilson-Clay <[log in to unmask]>
I wasn't suggesting anyone give sugar water, merely commenting on the fact
that research into pain relief for neonates does show it to be effective in
reducing response to pain. I personally think the main focus of the new
article on pain relief is great news and it is much more about bfg than
about sugar.

  Pain is stressful to babies and reducing it is good.  Non-pharmacologic
relief of pain seems less risky and therefore also good, Finally, it is
great to have evidence (based on monitoring of heart rate) that bfg provides
analgesic protection to the baby.  (Tho this is not surprising to me; I
always insisted on nursing my kids during immunizations even 23 yrs ago).
Drops of sugar water also provide pain relief during circs as demonstrated
in this (and previous research).  Whether this is appropriate or adds risk
to the babies is not something I have any info about.  My pref. would be to
use expressed milk.

Barbara Wilson-Clay BSEd, IBCLC
Austin Lactation Associates
http://www.lactnews.com