From:
Kirsten Blacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 08:34:34 -0700
I saw the new 'Whisper' pump at an LLL conference yesterday (says she typing
from her  hotel room - have laptop will travel!). It looks to be an
interesting device. It is a double pump. Runs on AA batteries which the gal
said would last about a week in a fulltime working mum. I asked about pump
pressures after reading an interesting comparision chart a few weeks back
and her arguement was that although the peak pressure was lower than
hospital pumps (120-140mmg vs 230 in hg electric) it had a 0.5 to 0.75
plateau at the peak to better mimic the sucking action of a baby. It was
also reasonably quiet.The other plus was that it has 15 seconds of rapid
cycling to induce letdown before going to a slower cycle.
 The only downfall I saw (besides not being able to assess it's efficacy on
a lactating breast at the time!) was that the bags that came with it that
the milk goes into are 4 and 6 oz. From someone that could regularly fill an
8oz bottle off one breast, I would consider that annoying.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see what others think. The rep didn't have
printed technical info that I wanted but was happy to outline the pressures
and the suction cycle to me.

Kirsten Blacker
hotel room in Bloomington, Minnesota!