Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:34:26 -0600
We've often mentioned that studying the litigation used against the tobacco industry may be an example we can follow in controlling the formula industry.

Here's a comprehensive document about that litigation:

Towards health with justice:
Litigation and public inquiries as tools for tobacco control
Report prepared by D. Douglas Blanke, Director of the Tobacco Law Project,
William Mitchell College of Law, for the Tobacco Free Initiative, WHO.
2002 World Health Organization (WHO)

Available online as PDF file [71p.] at:
http://tobacco.who.int/repository/stp69/final_jordan_report.pdf

"........Used properly, the law can help transform the paradigms of tobacco control, awaken public outrage, strengthen public policies and redress injuries. A new report "Towards health with justice: Litigation and public inquiries as tools for tobacco control"  looks at past and current tobacco litigation around the world and analyses its impact on public health. The report says it is time  to make the law, and inquiries into the behavior of tobacco transnationals, an integral component of the comprehensive global tobacco control agenda, in a way that advances both health and
justice........."

Janice Reynolds
Consumer Representative, Breastfeeding Committee for Canada
(I never knew there was a WHO Tobacco Free Initiative)