HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
georgejmyersjr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 17:21:02 -0500
I am not sure about the archaeology of this site, but perhaps there may be
some.

In Suffolk County, on Long Island in Nwe York State is a site in
Farmingville that contains two schoolhouses, the site nominated to the
National Register by the then County Historian Lance Malamo. One schoolhouse
is the original, the other moved to the site, out of "harms way" from
Selden, NY just to the west of the site. I did the Phase I research of the
Farmingville site, and some limited testing in the proposed development
surrounding it, at the foot of the Ronkonkoma moraine (referred to in George
Washington's diary as a "mere trifling" on his victorious tour of the Long
Island after the Revolution. He usually made notes about the "carrying
capacity" of the environs he saw) It also had a nesting pair of red tailed
hawks, unusual for the area having grown up nearby, but you never know. The
moraine was also a "signal hill" and "lookout" for the natives with some
small potable water sources nearby, and is said to be a burying ground ontop
of the "hills" of glacial deposits. The schoolhouse is on the southern side,
the beginning of the "outwash plain" it is called, to the Great South Bay,
bounded by the barrier island(s) beaches of Fire Island.

I am not sure if the archaeology of the Selden site was done before the
move, and I am not sure if archaeology proceded near the extant schoolhouse,
but the last I looked the preposed was not developed. Interestingly the top
of the hills were once owned by the "Suffolk Syndicate" and "Suffolk
Traction Co." a streetcar company that never conquered the "mere trifling".

Another schoolhouse site was found and tested along the St. Lawrence Seaway
for the then NYPA and the Federal Seaway Commission and may have been
further excavated somewhat near the National Register tavern in Chase Mills,
NY. An interesting Canadian coin was found in the testing. I am not sure who
has the reports but Greenhouse Consultants, Inc., was my employer and the
primciple investigator of both.

Another, the The Branch Elementery School (built around 1970?) had a dig for
the children and parents who participated and I was only there for a day and
Mr. James Gibb's former mother-in-law sponsored it, so he (SHA education
branch) may know if an actual report was filed. There was quite a bit of
modern fill and an interesting clay deposit under the back of it about 1
meter down, with water, in the village to the south of Smithtown, NY, a 17th
century settlement on the north shore of Long Island, just a short distance
west of Stony Brook University and the museums in Stony Brook, NY.

George Myers