HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Julie Schablitsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:27:15 -0800
I was wondering if someone could give me some direction on the archaeological
testing of early 20th century schoolhouses.  The schoolhouse occupation dates
between 1909 and ca. 1945 and is located in rural Oregon in the Willamette
Valley.  The building was moved to another location in 1986. At this time the
ground is covered in vinca and surrounded by mature oaks. According to oral
informants, a privy stood in the back, a well was on the property, and a play
structure was 30 feet from the edge of the schoolhouse.

I am aware of a project that the Delaware Dept. of Transportation conducted as
well as a project in Jessamine County, Kentucky.  Has anyone else had
experience excavating schoolhouse sites and/or could you provide me with any