HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 09:11:31 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest processor
<[log in to unmask]> writes
> am looking for any information on a light green pickle jar..it is =
>imbossed as the East India Pickle Co. my research so far includes the =
>English Co. and the
>  Dutch Co by the same name...excavated intact from a fire pit from the =
>year of 1898..(site usage limited to that year)..as far as i can tell =
>the English Co founded by
>  Queen Elizabeth the 1st in 1600 but was long gone by 1898..i could =
>find no further infomation on the Dutch Co. any leads would be =
>Appreceiated.

There is also a Portuguese East India Company.  The Dutch one (the
Vereenigde Oost-indische Compagnie - VOC [United East Indian Company])
was chartered in 1602, and I'm afraid I don't know when/if it ceased to
be a company.

The best place online I've found to start looking for VOC information is
the Atlas of Mutual Heritage: http://www.nationaalarchief.nl/AMH/

But I think you are looking for something called the 'East India Pickle
Company' rather than the 'East India Company'.

Best wishes,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds