HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 21:41:26 +0800
There is a difference between exporting wood and exporting a value added
wooden product like a pre fab timber house. I doubt the wood in such houses
actually came from Britain, the house was just manufactured and shipped from
there. As Ian said in an earlier post all sorts of prefab houses in all
sorts of materials came to Australia from Britain. Those Stirling brought
with him to WA were of light timber with possibly some canvas construction.
Hence their short life span once the white ants found them. White ants just
love softwood timbers.