From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 22:46:34 -0400
I wrote:

>My lifelong love of opera began the day I heard Tosca in English.

Mitch Friedfeld replied with a message I have lost.  I believe he asked
when this was and then asked something along the lines of when the last
"singing" translation was produced as opposed to one that just put the
words in English.

I heard this production around 1972 in the early years of the Lake George
Opera.  I was a tyro in opera and cannot comment on the musical quality of
the translation.  It may have been by Thomas Martin, but I have no idea.
In any case, the experience for me was a dramatic one at that stage of my
development, and it set me off on the road to enjoying opera in a way I had
not been able to before.

Roger Hecht