Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:19:23 -0500
>The MOST typical of the fdng frequency calls were from parents in varying
>states of anxiety over the the fact that their babies were feeding less than
>the *prescribed* number of 8-12 times day. After lengthy discussion it was
>most often determined that these babies were getting plenty of milk ie. milk
>in, great wt. gain, output etc.

I still worry about these babies.  They're feeding for food, not for
comfort, and I think of these babies as being *at risk for* (no certainties,
as Pat W's post about her own baby shows) struggles with oversupply,
becoming more attached to pacifiers or thumbs than to the breast, and
weaning by 6 mo to a year, never having understood the *pleasures* of bfing.
I'd encourage these moms to offer one breast at a time, and to offer for all
sorts of reasons other than perceived hunger.  It's a different kind of risk
these babies face, but it's still a risk.

Teresa Pitman had a wonderful post (last year?) about how frequent,
free-wheeling nursing tends to go the distance, while infrequent - even if
bountiful - breastfeeders are at risk of supply failure after the first few
months.

--
Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com