Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:45:57 -0500
Hello all,

Sorry to do this, but the volume of emails I have been receiving has
resulted in an inordinate number of questions coming in every day for me.
When I return from a conference, I am often facing hundreds of questions
after only a few days away.  Some of these questions are incredibly trivial
and at other times the mother will write pages and pages of information,
most of it irrelevant, in one case recently, the whole breastfeeding history
of her previous child who is now 5 years or something, in addition to the
present baby's (5 weeks old) incredibly long and complicated history.  I
will continue answering emails from health professionals (it goes without
saying, lactation consultants included) and my own patients seen at our
clinic.  And I will answer followup questions to those previously answered.
Anyone not fitting that description who writes will get the following
message in return (only part is added below).

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC

I am very sorry to inform you that due to the high volume of emails I have
been receiving at this email address, I can no longer address individual
questions on breastfeeding.  Breastfeeding information follows.

Please note that almost no medication, mother illness or baby illness
requires a mother to stop breastfeeding.  Just a few medications often
stated to be contraindicated during breastfeeding *but are not*, include
metronidazole (Flagyl), ciprofloxacin (Cipro), (any antibiotic, with very
rare exceptions, is okay, actually), interferon, the vast majority of
antihypertensive medications (including Magnesium sulphate), several
antidepressants (tricyclics are virtually all compatible), including
sertraline (Zoloft), paroxetine (Paxil) and bupropion (Wellbutrin),
warfarin, heparin.  Indeed, the question is not whether the drug gets into
the milk, but rather does a tiny amount of drug in the milk render
breastfeeding more hazardous than formula.  The answer almost always is no,
breastfeeding is still safer.  In the rare case when the drug is more
worrisome, there is almost always a drug available which treats the mother's
condition and which allows her to continue breastfeeding.  Do not accept a
simple no from your health care professional; they may not be aware of the
intricacies of breastfeeding and maternal medication.

Breastfeeding babies with diarrhea and/or vomiting are usually fine only
with breastfeeding.  Oral rehydrating solutions are almost never necessary.
Even if your baby is vomiting, if he nurses well and maintains 6 wet diapers
a day, he will be fine with breastfeeding alone.

"Reflux" does not require a baby to stop breastfeeding (see colic chapter in
my book).

These are just a few infant problems for which mothers are told they must
stop breastfeeding.  It is rare that infant illness requires mothers to stop
breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding does not make maternal illness worse.

If you are writing for information on breastfeeding the adopted baby, see
the chapter in my book on special situations.  Also you can email Lenore
Goldfarb at [log in to unmask] in order to get her protocol.

If you are having a problem with milk supply or the baby not gaining weight
"adequately" please refer to the attached protocol on "not enough milk" and
the method of latching.  If you need information about getting domperidone,
it follows at the end of the websites.

If you are having sore nipples, see the information, attached on the method
of latching, as well as information on using the ointment in the Candida
protocol, also attached.

If you are having problems with a baby latching on, get good hands on help,
make sure to get your milk supply up or keep it up, and don't get
discouraged.

If you are having problems with a baby with colic, or with a baby who has
blood in the bowel movements, do not stop breastfeeding.  Much can be done.
Check my book.  Also, the use of pancreatic enzymes *by the mother* often
eliminates colic and/or blood in the stool.  The dose is one capsule three
times a day with meals.  The idea is that the enzymes break up protein in
your diet so that they cannot pass into the milk.  Check first though, the
chapter on colic.  Please note that blood in the baby's bowel movements is
often due to other things, including swallowed blood from the mother, or
from a fissure in the baby's anus.

More information can be had from my book, The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of
Answers (published in the USA by Prima Publishing,August 2000) or Dr. Jack
Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding (published in Canada by HarperCollins
Publishing, February 2000).

The book is available at www.amazon.com or www.chapters.ca or www.indigo.ca

Also, check the website www.breastfeedingonline.com

Other websites for breastfeeding information.  Websites working as of
February 17, 2002: