From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 10:07:14 -0700
David Harbin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Dear All, I finally heard excerpts from the Davis/LSO Elgar 2 on LSO
>Live and was greatly disappointed.  The sound was shallow and harsh, as
>if recorded in a bunker.  The conducting was short breathed and agogic in
>many places.  The climaxes in the 2nd and 4th movement simply did not work.
>
>As an alternative I'd recommend:
>
>- Elgar #1 - BBC Philharmonic/Hurst on Naxos.  Good sound, excellent
>grasp on structure and subtle use of rubato.  Exciting propulsive finale.
>Terrific.

Agreed, but unfortunately a pale reflection of the live performance he did
with the same orchestra ih the Free Trade Hall in 1979.  The BBC broadcast
this in 1983 (?) as part of the orchestra's 50th anniversary (they also
broadcast the Horenstein Das Lied), which IIRC was when the name was
changed from BBC Northern SO.

>- Elgar #2 - LPO/Slatkin on RCA.  Everything the LSO Live CD is not.
>Sound has depth and resonance.  The gradual buildup of timpani in the 3rd
>movement is almost overpowering.  Thrilling use of an organ in the 4th
>movement.  Most importantly, Slatkins conducts with strength and insight.
>The great hammer blows in the 2nd movement are wielded within an
>overarching structure.  A recording to treasure.

Hmmm, don't thin I know this one.  (I'm generally underwhelmed by Slatkin
in British music).  Glad to see somebody aside from Handley is including
the organ in the finale.

For me, though, Elgar's own recordings (and the Boult 1944 2nd) are
peerless.

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)