From:
Doris Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 00:53:06 -0000
>While doubtless all of the above is true, I still find, whever I am in the
>UK, that I can take about 15 minutes of Classic FM before having to switch
>off.

Isn't this what the "off" switch on all equipment is for? One has to be
selective.  The main listings are in the Radio Times, but not the details.
The Playlists could be found perhaps on CFM website?

>I still managed to catch the finale (only) of Saint-Saens' Carnaval of the
>Animals three times in less than two weeks.

Well I have a theory that the Estate/Heirs of Benjamin Britten has an
agreement with Radio three that the "Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes"
must be played at least once a month.

>16th century French vocal music (I have my limits).

But have you tried 14th Century Vocal Music, and what about Gerald of
Wales? There is always Dire Straits of course.(:-)

You sound a little cross Deryk:

Mind you, having heard a cracking performance of Elijah this evening from
the 2000 Chester Festival, I'm in jubilant and reminiscent mood.  Being
cast as a contralto at Grammar School because I could read music-and was a
good sight reader, my desire to sing soprano was "out".  By the time I left
school and could sing in things like this, I'd lost my nerve, and found the
alto line more fun anyway..  No-one around  to hear this evening, so I had
a grand time with the top notes...  .  But this particular choral work did
seem to produce storms after the weekly rehearsals.....

Doris><>
Who suggest you invest in the current Radio Times when you are in the UK.
most people buy it for TV Programmes, but I read it for the music.