From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:32:02 -0500
I'm sitting in my office listening to "Babar, the Little Elephant."

This story by Jean de Brunhoff was set to music by Francis Poulenc.
I first heard it in 1969, when a fellow called Eric Phillips from Australia
visited Sri Lanka, and performed it.  Ever since, I've wanted to own a
recording of it, and finally I got one!

This one is by Timothy Russell & the Pro Music Players, and is narrated by
Janet Bookspan.  The original was for piano and narrator- -which was the
way Eric performed it.  The version I'm listening to now is for a chamber
group: 2 violins, one each of vla, cell, bass, fr Hrn, Flu, Ob, Cl, Bsn,
piano; & percussion.

It is a delightful story, wacky and whimsical.  Poulenc is the perfect foil
for de Brunhoff's literary talents.  I'm having a wonderful time!

Arch