From:
The Mullers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 05:01:30 -0500
Can't remember which conference or which speaker I heard it from, but it
relates to sore nipples and made sense to me.
Latch and type of sucking are all important, of course.
But, this speaker also theorized that nerve endings in the nipples are
very close to the surface in the first 3 weeks postpartum in order to
send all the signals to the brain about making milk. She theorized that
about 3 weeks into breastfeeding the messages have been sent about milk
production and maintenance is all that is needed. The nerve endings
appear to retract somewhat after that (or possibly go off of "high
alert"). So nipples do not toughen up. Nerve endings retract or "turn
down". Anyone remember what conference that was at? Makes sense to me.
Many times women have said "My nipples were pretty sore the first couple
of weeks and then they toughened up.".
Cheryl Muller RNC. IBCLC