From:
June Rychlik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 16:13:25 EDT
<< Further update on the mother whose babies refused to nurse. The mother
 reports that this baby hates the sling and the snugli and seems to prefer
 being in a bouncy seat to being carried. Her son was similar, and she used
 the word hypersensitive to describe him in that clothes bothered him,
 especially seams and labels. >>

I have to add my own experiences with my son here.  My son was born via
c-section and had transient tachypenea of the newborn and spent the first 30
hours of his life in the NICU.  He was a slow and relectuant nurser, who took
a couple weeks to consistently achieve a good latch. I had to use an SNS with
expressed milk at first to ensure adequate intake.  He had trouble
coordinating suck swallow and breathe.   He also did not comfort easily and
became hysterical at the breast.  Swaddling him tightly was one of the only
ways I could calm him, he wasnt' that responsive to being held.   As he got
older the swing and bouncy chairs were the only things that seemed to comfort
him, rather than being held.  I also remember that I couldn't cover us with a
blanket when we nursed. The feel of the blanket on his head drove him nuts
and he would scream and push it away. (So much for trying to nurse
discreetly)

He never used the breast for comfort, just for food.  He was a slow gainer,
never getting that fat breast milk baby look.  He didnt regain his birthwgt
until a month old (Also the fact he had been a huge baby at 10-6 seemed to
make his pedi worry less about it)  BTW, no one ever suggested starting
formula, I just nursed him as much as possible.  I had to set alarms because
he would sleep through the night (10 hours)  if I didnt. Eventually his
growth stablized and he ended up being a long lean baby. (Hes a tall lean
child now, the opposite of his short fat mom ha)

We nursed about 15 months. (This was in my pre-lactation consultant days, or
I might have nursed longer)

My son is now five and has been since diagnosed with an autism spectrum
disorder, PDD (Pervasive developmental disorder)

I mention this all now, because the first signs were present from birth,and
these babies who display behaviors like this bear watching in development.
These developmental issues from the beginning can create difficulties in
establishing an effective nursing relationship.

In an earlier post someone mentioned this baby seeing an occupational
therapist. Thats an excellent idea for children with sensory issues.

I think this baby's development needs to be monitored.  I see some early red
flags here that might be nothing, but bear watching.

I am also really glad that I stuck through the early nursing difficulties,
because now I now that babies with neurological problems especially benefit
from breastmilk.

June Eastman, BS, M.Ed, IBCLC
Lawrence MA WIC Program