From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 15:37:19 -0500
John Dalmas, on the date of the Paillard Pachelbel Canon:

>I'm looking at the Musical Heritage Society Paillard LP and the liner notes
>say the society licensed it from Erato in 1978.

I wonder if this could have been a reissue.  What is the catalog number
on your copy? Mine is MHS 1060.  It says recorded by ERATO of France, but
I don't see a date.  The date I offered was from a library catalog record,
which had a (?) after it.  The LC card number is 79-751510.  It would be
nice if those first two numbers were the year, but I used to notice more
and more divergence from the dates of issue.

My personal recollection, a vivid one, dates from the period 1969-1973,
and is connected to a record store in Madison, Wisconsin, where I lived
at the time, and where one of the clerks at Discount Records referred to
the work as the Schlockelbel Canon, and where someone, perhaps that clerk,
regularly filed recordings of the Pachelbel under any other composer
represented on various recordings.  I am sure I had my copy of the
Paillard recording already.

Jim Tobin