From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 20:48:07 -0500
Interesting.  I find Richter's WTC the most lyrical imaginable, even
too lyrical and not a bit flashy (also slowish rather than fast) while
Nikolayeva's very heavy-handed to put it gently.  I heard her live in 1970s
in a few giant recitals - all of LvB sonatas, WTC, perhaps also Art of
Fugue (don't recall now) - and it was definitely a very muscular playing
(well, she herself was muscular to say the least), not a slightest bit
lyrical.  To me, she's much better suited to Shostakovich's Preludes &
Fugues.

I don't recall who her students were.

-Margaret Mikulska