From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 10:22:19 +0200
Daniel B asks:

>Indeed, I am interested in the music of Sofia Gubaidulina.
>
>EMI has rencently launched a new Gubaibulina CD that seems quite
>interesting: Have you heard it?

Yes its wonderful, I belive that we had some discussion about it a few
monts on the list, check the archives.

>Apart from Gubaidulina, I like the music of another female Russian
>composer: Galina Ustvolskaya.  ...

I'm also a huge Ustvolskaya fan (both in admiration and size!), I credit
myself (Perhaps falsely) to having introduced Ustvolskaya to this list
way back in 1996.  I'm not sure that I agree with Daniel about her
production of the "1950'ies" being her most important, but that her post
1970 works are som of the most imposing and demanding, not least in a
symphonical sense, wich Ustvolskaya says her music should be heard as.
I recomed the Philips release of three "Compositions I - III" (w.  the
Schonberg Ensemble/de Leeuw) as starting point - if its still availible.
Otherwise I thoroughly recommend the Complete Galina Ustvolskaya edition
from the Belgian Label MegaDisc:  [ http://www.megadisc.be/ ] (I hope I got
the URL right) There are alos a few releases of her music on lables like
"Hat Art" (Hat Hut) and "etcetera" but I do not think that they are
remotely as succesful as the ones on MegaDisc, a lable that have several
interesting releases availible if You are a Russophile like me, f.x.  of
Valentin Silvestrov's music.

peter lundin, gothenburg.se   =80    Counting the days: DDS 100 (1906-2006)