From:
Doris Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 02:15:59 -0000
Welcome to the List Lowell, from another (amateur) enthusiast.  I have
an ancient LP called "Non-Stop Dancing 1600", the innate energy of which
makes some of the 1920s/30s/40s/50s dancing(?)sound like dirges.  Does
"Branle D'Officiale" - A.K.A.  - "Ding Dong Merrily on High" come under
this umbrella? Hugh Keyte said "I swore I once heard this pronounced in
French as 'Din, Don, Joliement en Haut'".

Is there a "virtual site" where once can see the earlier dances being
performed? I saw a BBC 2 Programme years ago in which the Sarabande was
demonstrated.  It would make dance names like these much clearer for my
little piano pupils to understand.  (I was asked all four in turn what
the "polish "dance was (-music was on the piano for my adult duettist's
benefit-no sense of timing) As one whose sons would come home from schoool
and ask "who's coming, Mum" when they could smell polish.....

I will certainly be visiting your website!

Kind regards,
Doris Suffolk, UK.