From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 13:37:24 -0600
Mike Leghorn asked:

>>I meant, if I'm watching, oh, let's say "ER", and I mute the sound, am I
>>listening to Cage?

David Runnion answers Mike:

>Of course not.  Why do folks ask questions like that about this piece.  It
>seems so uncomplicated to me.  You're listening to Cage when you are at a
>concert and the program includes 4'33".  That is when you are participating
>in his music, sitting respectfully and truly listening to the music of
>silence, or more accurately, the music that fills silence all by itself.
>
>You can enjoy the silence of a muted ER but that's just you enjoying
>silence, it is not Cage.

I'm sorry.  I still don't get it.  Just because I'm physically
present at a concert performance of 4'33" doesn't necessarily mean I'm
participating and sitting respectfully and truely listening to the music
of silence.  I might be daydreaming or fidgetting, like so many people do,
even at concerts with real music.  While I'm sitting in front of the TV
and the sound is muted, I might be thinking or Beethoven's 3rd.

Mike