Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:23:50 +0000
>I once had a doctor for a neighbor. He had been head of an OB unit
>at an army hospital in the 50s.  Back then they kept mothers in the
>hospital about 10 days and he would allow no artificial feeding in
>"his" hospital. He said if mothers delivered in his hospital they
>had to breastfeed. What they did when they left was "their"
>business. Of
>course, after 10 days I'll bet most continued.  :)
>
>Pam Wiggins, IBCLC, Franklin VA
>Breastfeeding Information Center: www.breastfeedingbooks.com

Sorry, Pam, I'll throw in a UK perspective here. In the 50 and 60s,
most UK women who delivered in hospitals were ordered to bf. In
certain circumstances (baby in special care) this was modified, and
milk feeds were prepared in the 'milk kitchens' they had in those
days. The majority of babies were bf while the mother was in hospital.

However, they were also ordered to feed 4-hourly, 10 minutes a side
and only once at night. Babies were kept in the nursery. Bf was
unjoyous, regimented and resented.  There were also top up feeds for
the babies.

Most women stayed in 10-14 days.

Most of them ended up bottle feeding within a short time....I have no
stats to show this, as we didn't collect official government stats
until the late 70s, by the time bottle feeding was more or less
universal in hospital and outside.  I am relying on what mothers have
told me over the years.

Ordering mothers to bf, not 'allowing' formula feeding, in a context
which does not support this with knowledge of how it works, and in a
culture where bottle feeding is seen as havng a lot to offer.....I
don't think we have any evidence to say this is a 'good' way to
proceed, a mother-friendly way to proceed, or a way to proceed that
increases bf.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK