From:
Pam Wiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:58:03 -0500
Patricia,

So sorry about your husband. I wish him the best.
My son was very ill and hospitalized with severe gi problems, (couldn't stop vomiting). His health deteriated quickly taking reglan, zantac, propulsid, phenergan. After 2 weeks of this, when nothing would stop the vomiting, I gave him human milk (from a friend). He quickly recovered. Two months later, he had another episode and was hospitalized again for 2 weeks and this time, I informed the doctor what I had done before and he agreed to prescribe milk from a milk bank. Guess what? It worked again! (He now has a lactating wife so if it happens again, they're ready!)

Lois Arnold and I wrote it up as a case study and it was published in the Journal of Human Lactation in June, 1998.  Lois described very well how breast milk may have helped in this situation.  If you would like a copy of the article, email me. I am going to try to post it to my website soon. I get asked for the article often.

You asked about adults resisting the idea. In my son's case, he was so lethargic and felt so hopeless, he would have tried anything.  We served it to him semi-frozen with a little sugar and vanilla mixed with it. He said it tasted "pretty good." It was the first thing he didn't vomit in 2 weeks. He only had to have a few  2 ounce servings before he felt like getting out of bed and rapidly gained strength and could eat solids within 2 days.

This subject fascinates me and I can only say to you or anyone else considering using it with an adult, TRY IT! WHAT COULD IT HURT??!!

Pam Wiggins, IBCLC, Franklin VA
www.breastfeedingbooks.com