Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:12:40 EST
I think we do a disservice when we tell women they will experience no pain.
First, each woman has a different pain level.  The normal sensations of
gentle pulling, tugging, and drawing are described as painful by some mothers
until they understand they will feel something while their baby is at the
breast.  Second, when the mother and baby are initially learning how to
breastfeed mothers often experience nipple tenderness in the first 2-4 days.
This too can be described as pain by some women, when others think nothing of
it.  (The Breastfeeding Answer Book talks about this on page 388.)  During
the first few days, the mom's nipples may feel tender at the beginning of the
feed as the baby draws the nipple and areolar tissue far back into his/her
mouth.  It's a temporary conditon, which generally eases within 5 sucks or
so, and is completely comfortable (0-2 on a pain level chart of 1-10) within
30-60 seconds.  If it doesn't get more comfortable, or the pain increases,
something's wrong and the baby needs to be taken off for another attempt at a
correct latch.  This tenderness can last for a week or two, but it's usually
greatly improved when the mature milk makes its appearance.
This has been such a common misunderstanding for many mothers.  I think in
the day and age of pain-free childbirth, some come into the breastfeeding
experience expecting to feel no sensations as well.  Once they understand
this is normal and will dissipate soon they can settle back and relax.  Sue,
IBCLC, LLLL