Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:36:46 +0000

>Dr. Lucas correctly identified this as a very political question, and stated
>he was not a political person.  After some uncomfortable pauses, he blurted
>out that of course in his country, one didn't have to struggle with this
>issue as Britain was a signatory to the CODE and public marketing of formula
>was banned.

Apart from that being a pathetic answer to your very sensible
question, Barbara, it's  NOT TRUE!!!!!.... Yes, yelling, and stamping
my foot, and resisting the temptation to swing my very large
shoulderbag in the direction of Dr Lucas's head....  I am not a
violent person.

Public marketing of some first infant milks is *restricted* in the
UK, but it is not *banned*. Even the restrictions are bent and the
manufacturers can weasle their way round some of them. Free samples
are banned ( I have never been aware of this law being broken, at
least) and promotion in-store is banned (though continually flouted)
and direct advertising to mothers is banned (though continually
bent....you can advertise ingredients of formula milk, you can
advertise manufacturers' 'Carelines' (bluuurrrgh) and you can of
course advertise identically packaged and branded follow-on milk).

The signature (whose?) on the code has made no difference to our
legislation or marketing practices, as far as I can see.

You can see our Law here:

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19950077_en_1.htm

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK