Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:37:48 +0000
I think all of us do what we can do.

I would hate a witch hunt as well.

Yet I think it cannot be acceptable for a breastfeeding advocate or
lactation professional to work for a formula company - under any
circumstances.  Still others would think that stricture should apply
also to pump manfacturers, unless that manufacturer marketed within
the Code and Resolutions. Personally, I would give a pass on that,
though again personally, I don't work with pumps....but I have a day
job that pays. I would not  give a pass to the bf advocate or
professional working for the formula manufacturer.

>Anyway, here's the "dark cloud".  Our hospital is expanding our Women's
>Health Center.  Of course, in order to do that they need $$$$.  Well, we
>found out after the contract was signed, everything wrapped up and
>negotiated, they signed a one-million-dollar contract with Ross Laboratories
>to help fund our Women's Health Center addition.  This is a 10-year
>exclusive contract.

I think it's significant that this decision and the debate
surrounding it has been withheld from you, Connie. I don't think
anyone should say you should all walk out on your jobs  - it might be
possible in another country, or somewhere where trades unions might
back you up and give you strike pay, or where other professionals
might support you in perhaps offering your services free away from
the hospital site - but that isn't going to happen, and meantime you
have to eat!

I don't think it would be fair to expect a handful of people to take
on the corporate might of a multi-national pharmaceutical .

But you can stay and practise ethically yourselves - and let us know
how Ross try to  make sure they get value for their money.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK