From:
Sanna-Mari Tonteri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:15:48 +0200
From:    [log in to unmask]

# I think it stems from the thought that the placental site is not
completely healed over until 6 weeks, and that the episotomy site isn't
healed either. Which is also why women get a 6 week check up from the OB --
and also then "permission" to have sex.  #

This must be at least partly a cultural thing, I guess. Here in Finland
women must have a pp check up at 5 - 12 weeks pp - in order to have their
maternity leave benefits to continue. Some doctors here recommend that women
actually 'should' have sex before the pp check up, so that if there are any
problems, they could be discussed and checked at the pp check up.

The time of having sex for the first time pp is not limited by any certain
number of weeks, and some women have told they hardly could wait the first
week or two (until the lochia slowed down a bit) to pass ;) .

Sanna-Mari, mom to Rasmus 99 & someone 5/02
a mom-to-mom bf support group leader
Finland, Scandinavia