From:
Price Pamela B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:34:00 -0600
Wouldn't it be great if formula's were named like alot of other foods?  With
a key ingredient in the title?
Like... Faker's Non-fat Cow's Milk, Now with Lactose and Whey!  From the
makers of Faker's Soy Milk.  Remember, Faker's, preserving babies for 40
years.

I had a thought/experience I hope it is ok to share...
I was at a store the other day in the check out line with my 3 children,
(3yrs, 8yrs, and 13yrs). I was tired, had worked 10 hours after my 2hr
morning of what I like to call "homework") and the kids were completely
spent,( school /daycare/afterschool care...etc.)  Admittedly this is the
point where I give them almost any treat to behave until we get home.  So
each had a soda and their choice of chips and were happily talking non stop.
The mother in the next line was just staring at us, and she had this look on
her face of complete disgust, I am sure she was thinking what a bad mommy I
was being.  She had 2 children, an infant only a few months old and a
daughter/preschooler.  My overly friendly kids were talking with this little
girl and offered her some of their snacks as she had none.  Anyway the mom
told her daughter that she couldn't eat junk food and then she pulled from
her diaper bag a baggie of carrot sticks instead.  In her cart though she
had 2 cases of formula.
It made me laugh to see that, thinking of how deprived of fillers and
chemicals this little girl was, after her first year of life was probably
spent being pumped with it.
It made me wonder about the patients that say they want to know exactly what
they are giving their baby, to make sure they are getting what they need.
These same moms will later not let their child have so many things based on
the ingredients.
I actually felt a little better about my parenting skills after that
encounter, maybe I do let my children eat unhealthy foods, but at least it
is not their main or sole source of nutrition.  They still get "real food"
(for most meals anyway).

Pam Price
e-mail [log in to unmask]