Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:22:01 +0200
Hi Pamela,
A few things come to mind as I read your plea. One is that it is not only difficult to come between family and culture but often disastrous if not a bit unethical. So, your job to begin with seems challanging, to say the least.  I don't mean that what YOU have done or are doing is unethical, don't get me wrong, but that you are to be commended for trying to break through what is sometimes an unbreakable barrier.
The second difficulty is the language barrier itself.  It is hard enough to get our philosophy across to moms who speak our own language let alone someone who is not fluent in that language.  The third factor I see is the NEED for help.  As you have tried over and over, the key word here is that YOU initiated the calls whereby after the first few calls, IF she wanted to overcome the myriad of problems, I would think that SHE should be the one to initiate SOS calls.  There is a limit to how much effort a volunteer councellor or even an LC, (be it WIC, LLL or anyone else) should put into such a case.  I don't know how long you have been doing this, but you will probably get really whacked out and burned-out and might want to draw up a few guidelines in order to protect yourself from professional burn-out at a "young" age. I would imagine that the peer programs or volunteers training programs may have some guidelines or recommendations for you.  As much as we want so much for that Mom to succeed, we have to recognize that SHE has to want it more than WE.

I would think that the time has come where you might call her and see how she is doing, and recommend to her what Dawn suggested.  To get together with other moms, get to a meeting to SEE  how it is being done. And tell her you are always there for her, whenever she wants to pick up that phone. (closure so you can get on with it, and be free to help someone who is waiting there for you).
You have certainly given her your best, she was lucky to have you. IMHO the ball should be in her court.

Ellen Shein, LLLL, IBCLC, Tel Aviv