From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:35:53 -0500
Krishan P. Oberoi writes:

>My local orchestra (The Rhode Island Philharmonic) is presenting a
>program this weekend which includes Dukas' "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"
>with a narrator (storyteller Bill Harley).  ...  I have done some
>research but have found no mention of an accompanying narration to this
>piece, or whether there is a precedent for such performances.
>
>Any insight into this?

My score doesn't contain a narrator's part.  I've heard only one
"narration" in recording: Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops with
Richard Halley (?), and that occurs as a prelude before the music.

Dukas's piece was "inspired" by a ballad by Goethe, just as Strauss's Don
Juan was inspired by a play by Lenau.  However, there are no narrators in
either.

My guess.

Steve Schwartz