HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:20:17 -0500
I think the author was originally referring to garum, the Roman sauce,
which, like Southeast Asian fish sauce, was an acquired taste, but eminently
portable and essential to Roman cuisine. The northern Europeans didn't take
to it and began altering the sauce to suit their taste. Histories of cuisine
regard garum as the source for miniscule bits of anchovy paste in French and
German cuisine. Obviously tomatoes don't get into it until the "discovery"
of the New World.

John Dendy