From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 07:47:11 +1100
Andrew Carlan wrote of the US President:

>He is more than just our chief executive.  He is a model and if he likes
>classical music and requests in performance at White House functions that
>would do more to promote classical music and expose young people to it than
>almost anything else.

While I agree with the sentiment, I'm not sure that it necessarily works
in practice.  Our last prime minister, Paul Keating, was well-known for his
passions for Mahler and French antique clocks.  These were almost always
reported as examples of eccentricity, elitism, insert-derogatory-word-here.
However, the politician who likes it to be known that he/she enjoys the
same pursuits as The Common Man/Woman will be suspected of attempted
self-promotion.  Alas, it may be ever thus.

Richard Pennycuick