From:
Hector Aguilar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 11:06:47 -0700
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm glad to hear it, because Glenn Gould introduced me to all of Bach's
>keyboard music and also to the Brahms Intermezzi.  When I hear him hum,
>I try to imagine just WHAT he is singing in his head.  Can it be another
>part? (I don't have the answer yet, and it's been fifty years!)

I once read someone's argument that Gould's humming was his way of
enriching the harmonies he was playing-- or something like that.  Anyway,
it's Gould possible didn't know exactly what he was singing either.  As a
student I had a violinist friend who also used to hum, until he was "outed"
one day during chamber music class.  His humming was so subtle and soft
that it was barely detectable, and at first the teacher couldn't pinpoint
it.  Years later I asked my friend (who no longer plays) why he used to
hum.  He responded, "I don't know.  I don't even know when it started.  I
had no idea I was even doing it until you all stopped me during chamber
music class."

I wonder if this "syndrome" has a name. . . .:-)

hector aguilar