From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:08:57 -0400
Don Satz wrote:

>I've always preferred the odd numbered symphonies of Beethoven with the
>5th, 7th, and 9th being my favorites.  As we know from previous postings
>on Beethoven's symphonies, everyone loves the 9th for its trailblazing
>qualities and dynamite last movement.

Don is often so witty that I can't tell when he's kidding.  I'll assume for
the moment that he's being serious with that last sentence.  My favorite
part of B9 is the first two movements.  The intro is shattering, and the
start of the scherzo....now *there's* dynamite.  I find the vocalists'
parts almost laughable, and the Ode to Joy has been played so much, it just
doesn't do it for me anymore.  Different strokes.

Mitch Friedfeld