From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:29:27 -0500
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS:

>Most of the audience applauded, but some protested. Both sides included
>survivors of the Nazi Holocaust. The education and culture committee of
>Israel's parliament on Tuesday condemned Barenboim and called on
>Israeli cultural institutions to boycott him until he apologizes.

Looks like the committee is with the minority.  I hope it will not
be unforgiveable to say that when I read this I was reminded of
the--admittedly more extreme--occasion when Bruno Walter (who also
performed Wagner) withdrew from a scheduled concert in Berlin when
brownshirts threatened to wreck the hall if he conducted.  Does the
Israeli Knesset have the power of the purse over the cultural bodies
to whom the committee made this demand?

Jim Tobin