From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:08:40 -0400
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Mitch Friedfeld wrote:
>
>>My favorite is Horenstein on BBC Legends.  Turn Part I on and play it
>>loud.  Better yet, go see it in live performance.
>
>Where and when can I attend a live performance of Horenstein conducting a
>Mahler symphony?

Always a stickler for the truth, Walter catches me in an ambiguous
antecedent.  Partly inspired by this thread, today I listened to the
Horenstein Mahler 8.  It gets better with every hearing.  It is a
monumental performance, a titanic recording; and I think it was made with
only one mike at the top of Royal Albert Hall (somebody correct me on this,
please).  The return of Veni, Creator Spiritus at the end of Part I is one
of those Magical Mahlerian Moments that could come only from you know who.

I hope Walter attended the Washington Choral Arts Society's performance
of M8 last November.  It might not have been up to Horenstein's level, but
it was definitely worth attending.  It was absolutely cruel for us not to
be "allowed" to applaud at the end of Part I.  Here's what I wrote about
that concert for the Mahler-List (there's a little "inside baseball" here
but I have no doubt that Listers here will be able to figure things out):

   http://listserv.uh.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0011a&L=mahler-list&O=A&P=15817

Mitch Friedfeld