Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 08:42:14 -0600
From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
I have collected a fair amount of Sowerby...some thanks to the archives
at Eastman.  At its best, his music can be terrific.  Perhaps my favorite
work is the C Major Concerto for Organ and Orchestra (my tape is of the
Philadelphia Orchestra with Ormandy conducting and Biggs).  There are two
fine CDs of his orchestral music on Cedille.  While the playing isn't on
the level of a major orchestra, it isn't all that bad and they are the only
commercially available sources for some of his work.

As a fan of music of that period in American Music, it is
interesting to see how often his orchestral music was performed in his
lifetime...performances by the Chicago Symphony, Boston Symphony, et al.
I recall that there was the 100th anniversary of his birth in 1995.  I
have a vague recollection that the only Sowerby the Chicago Symphony has
performed in recent years was a token Comes Autumn Time.

A friend of mine studied composition with him and reported that he was a
wonderful teacher.  I find his organ and choral works to be amongst the
finest written in this country.

At his worst, I find that some of the music rambles.

Things I have:

A Liturgy of Hope for Chorus
All on a Summer's Day for Orchestra
Canticle of the Sun for Chorus and Orch.
Classic Concerto for Organ and Strings
Comes Autumn Time, Overture
Concert Piece for Organ and Orch.
Concerto for Cello and Orch. (1934)(2d & 3d mvnts. only)
Concerto for Organ and Orchestra in C Major
Concerto for Violin and Orch.
Fanfare for Airmen (1942)
Fanfare No.3 for Brass and Timpani (1956)
Forsaken of Man for Chorus and Organ
>From the Northland (exc)(Stokowski)
>From the Northland, Suite for Orchestra
Homage to English Country Folk, 3 Folksongs from Somerset
for Orch. (1916)
King Estemere ballad for 2 Pianos and Orch.
Medieval Poem for Organ and Orch.
Money Musk for Orch.
Monotony: Synconata for jazz ens.
Passacaglia, Interlude and Fugue for Orchestra
Prairie, a Poem for Orch.
Prelude on "The King 's Majesty" for Organ
Sinfonietta for Strings
Solomon's Garden
Sonata for Piano
Spring Overture for Band (1934)
Suite for Organ and Brass
Symphony No.2
Symphony No.3
Te Deum for Chorus
Theme in Yellow, Tone Poem after Sandburg (1958)
Throne of God for Chorus and Orch. (1956-7)
Thy Word is a Lamp Unto my Feet (1963) for Chorus

Karl