Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:05:13 -0500
Barbara, I didn't read your original post, and haven't read all of the
replies so hopefully I'm not repeating someone else's suggestion, but...here
goes anyway, just in case :-)

I swear I JUST had a client with these symptoms a couple of weeks ago!  Baby
was either 2 or 3 months old, I've forgotten which.  I went with my "When in
Doubt, See Her" philosphy, and (as usual) ended up being really glad I did.
It turned out to be a bleb combined with a nasty plugged duct, really deep
in the breast.  The plugged area of the breast would heat up and become
quite warm to the touch right after the feeding.  It was almost as if the
milk was trying to let-down there, and couldn't because of the plug, and so
the breast would heat up.  There was a small white bleb at the tip of the
nipple, and a stiff line (not visible, but obvious upon palpation) leading
back from there to where the plugged lump was deep in the breast.

After further conversation, I learned that she'd just moved across the
country to Miami from New Jersey, LOL!  I reminded her that the stress, work
and busy-ness of packing herself and her family up and moving across country
could well have led the the plug, and she agreed.  I made the usual bleb &
plugged duct suggestions, and it resolved.

I don't know if you've already seen her, so perhaps you've ruled out that
possibility, but I thought I'd run it past you just the same.  Just a
suggestion :-)  Hope it helps, and keep us posted!
Regina Roig Lane, BS IBCLC for Miami-Dade County WIC