From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:10:46 +0100
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]> in response to Mike Leghorn
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>>I seem to recall reading in Maynart Solomon's book, "Beethoven", that
>>Beethoven was not a very conscientious counterpoint student.  While
>>studying under Haydn, he had a friend do some of his exercises (am I
>>correct on this?
>
>I don't recall if Solomon made any account of that, but I really don't
>consider Solomon's book the best source for Beethoven data.

I fully agree.

>While Beethoven certainly respected Haydn as a composer, they did not
>click as teacher and pupil.

That's true.

>The only thing even slightly deceptive on Beethoven's part about all this
>was that he did take lessons from Albrechtsburger (with whom he did click)
>for a time simultaneous to the Haydn lessons, and he kept that from Haydn
>so as not to offend him.

No, that's not correct.  Haydn himself advised Beethoven to take lessons
from Albrechtsberger when he, Haydn, left for England, while Beethoven
wanted to continue the lessons.  Albrechtsberger was not impressed by his
pupil.  Schenk was the one who corrected Beethoven's exercises behind
Haydn's back.  That's the story.

Joyce Maier
www.ademu.com/Beethoven