From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:13:19 -0600
Mimi Ezust replied to Mike Leghorn

>>Listen (if that's possible) to the first eight notes of Beethoven's op.
>>132, then listen to the 3rd movement of Mozart's 41st (the middle, trio
>>section).  If you aren't struck and impressed by the similarity, then I
>>recommend that you take up another interest besides music.
>
>Look at the score (if that's possible) and tell me exactly which measures
>of the Mozart you mean, and tell me exactly which VOICES in the Beethoven
>you are matching up.  I have both scores here.  My mind is open.

Measures 68 through 75 of the 3rd mvt of Mozart's 41st, and the opening
measures of Beethoven's 132 -- pretty much the same notes, only a little
disguised in the Beethoven because they sometimes go from one instrument
to another.  Both start with G#.  In the Mozart, this part anticipates the
four note theme of the last movement, plus it contains a four note answer.

Mike