From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:34:03 -0800
Mike Leghorn ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I'm sorry to be so stubborn.  Of course, resolving this debate is not a
>matter of life and death.  However, I still must insist that the similarity
>is more than coincidence, despite some peoples' (on this list) claim that
>Beethoven never heard Mozart's Bastien.

You can insisit all you like, Mike, it won't change anything.  it's still
you *opinion* that B copied M.

Margaret's point is that there is *no* evidence that he did hear it, nor
is that any evidence that he could have seen the score dring his lifetime.

In order to improve the status of your "gut feeling" you're going to have
to adduce some evidence, any evidence which has some objective standing.

After all, maybe the author of "I'll be seeing you" (in all the old
familiar places) pinched it from the finale of Mahler 3 or Chuck Berry
pinched Schooldays (or Andrew Lloyd's Bank "Music of the night") from
the first moveent of mahler 10.

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)