From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:28:38 -0600
Mary Powers wrote:

>Hello, I hear that one time, Tori Amos did a concert in Baltimore and it is
>alleged that she said something like "the way to achieve success is to get
>kicked out of Peabody".  many of her former professors and fellow students
>were in attendance.  thoughts?

Based upon my interpretation of her lyrics...I am not surprised that she
would make such a comment.  To me, her persona is that of victim.

Perhaps formal music education might have inhibited her expression.

>Tori is one of the few popular musicians that I really like.

While I haven't heard her first discs (more hard core rock) I have enjoyed
several of her albums.  The most recent seem to be rehashing the victim
persona too much.  To my ears she seems stuck in a rut.  While I am not
suggesting she give Peabody a try again, but it seems like her music could
benefit from some exploration.  Seems to me like she is getting a bit old
to have such a chip on her shoulder.  Would Tori on Prozac still be Tori?
For me, Carl Loewe is Beethoven on Prozac (listen to the Loewe Symphony or
Piano Concerto).

Karl