From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:43:41 EDT
Deryk Barker writes:

>This person is just STARTING!  How about Beethoven sonatas & concertos,
>Mozart concertos (and sonatas I suppose), Schubert, Schumann, Liszt, etc.
>While I very much admire some of the music you've listed, I don't think
>any of it is really suitable for somone who's just beginning a collection.

Absolutely!  Quickly and off the top of my head I'd suggest starting in the
Baroque, possibly with the Gabrieli Consort under McCreesh doing _Venetian
Coronation_ ; then go on to Bach, maybe with Tureck working the piano (see
Don Satz's very helpful coverage of this topic here recently on the list);
proceed then, as Deryk proposes, but fold in Handel's organ concerto and
snap off with Bruckner--or possibly with some Wagner overtures.

Denis Fodor