From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 20:40:29 +0100
Mariana Cirne introduces herself and asks...

>...if any of you piano fans have heard of Ernesto Nazareth.  If not, I
>would recommend a cd recorded by Arthur Moreira Lima (excellent Brazilian
>pianist), which you can get at Amazon.  Nazareth is sometimes heavily
>influenced by Chopin, but most of the time he's very original - you can
>hear the typical Brazilian flavor that later gave birth to samba, etc.

Indeed -- and a miraculous discovery he is too.  On a trip to Rio in '98
I heard a piano bar player indulge his fancy for Nazareth;'s music late
at night -- my introduction to music that has become almost obsessional
for me.  I can't hear enough of it, despite the fact that one or two of
my acquaintances dismiss it as "pub music." Popularly-inspired it may be
-- pedestrian it is most certainly not!

Discs I can recommend from personal experience:

Koch Schwann 3-1182-2 H1 "Brasilianische Klaviermusik" Vol 2 -- Marcello
Verzoni playing Villa-Lobos, Nazareth (Confidencias and Perigoso), Santoro,
Guarnieri, Nepomuceno, Mignone, Nobre and Callado.

Koch Schwann/Musica Mundi 310 019G1 Vol. 1 of the above series, Verzoni
playing more Villa-Lobos and Guarnieri, and Nazareth's Escorregando,
Duvidoso, Garoto, Faceira, Apanhei-te cavaquinho, Remando, Bambino and
Favorito.  Four of these are tangos, imbued with all the exuberance,
liveliness and verve that makes it impossible not to tap the foot
restlessly while listening.

I believe I got these two discs a couple of years ago from Berksire Record
Outlet -- not sure if they're still available or not.

Oh -- and welcome to The List, Mariana! Thanks for the excuse to wax
enthusiastically about one of the stars in my own journey of discovery!!

Tim Mahon