From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:35:55 -0500
Denis Fodor responds to Dave:

>>I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has
>>contributed to our community.  It's because of all of you, and not
>>myself, that this list works.
>
>Thanks are due the group for their savvy and companionship, but Dave's
>most definitely the prime mover.  His achievement ranks as a cultural one
>by now--a real service to our (somewhat shaky) intellectual life.  Anyway,
>good time to say, Thanks Dave!

I am happy to agree with Denis Fodor today, and I hope that doesn't
surprise him too much.  If you had said "not just myself," Dave, we could
let this pass, but such false modesty cannot stand.  Those of us who have
been with this list from the beginning know how well you have moderated the
list, and how much time it has cost you--not to mention the unknown amount
of personal resources it represents.  If you hadn't taken the initiative to
start this, and maintain it, I don't know if anyone else would have.  And
to do it day after day, year after day, without telling us, "let me out of
here..." well, if I may just make an odious comparison with another
list--on another subject-- I belong to, every time serious discussion
threatens to break out, we get from the moderator a "Stop, stop, this is
too much to manage; this list is supposed to be just an information posting
place." So, Dave, many many thanks.

Jim Tobin