From:
Bruce Alan Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 22:26:46 -0600
In addition to the Minnesota Orchestra, the Minnesota Opera, the Dale
Warland Singers and the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, several of the
colleges and universities in the area have fine music programs.

The Lutheran Church is quite strong there, and they take their choral
traditions very seriously.  Other denominations also are represented in
the 'good choirs' catagory.  I don't know if they still do, but at one time
St. Agnes R.C.  Church had, at the 11:00 am Sunday Mass, a mass setting my
Mozart, Schubert, or one of the Haydn Brothers.

As for composers, Libby Larsen, Dominik Argento, and Stephen Paulus are all
based in the Twin Cities.

(I grew up in the Cities; my late Mother taught in the University of
Minnesota School of Music.  Dom's studio was next to hers, and she was one
of Stephen's mentors [NOT for composition!  She taught voice.  I have a
letter from him to her in which he says that he learned how to write for
the human voice from her.] {Stephen was one of my babysitters, I think.
I remember a dark-haired young man who spent most of the evening at the
piano.} <I never met Libby Larsen; Mother did, and didn't like her very
much.> I haven't lived there for a long time, though.)

"Bruce Alan Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>